Monday, January 16, 2006

Martin Luther King Jr. Day

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Acceptance Speech,

on the occasion of the award of the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo, December 10, 1964

I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality. This is why right temporarily defeated is stronger than evil triumphant. I believe that even amid today's motor bursts and whining bullets, there is still hope for a brighter tomorrow.

I believe that wounded justice, lying prostrate on the blood-flowing streets of our nations, can be lifted from this dust of shame to reign supreme among the children of men. I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three meals a day for their bodies, education and culture for their minds, and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits.

I believe that what self-centered men have torn down men other-centered can build up. I still believe that one day mankind will bow before the altars of God and be crowned triumphant over war and bloodshed, and nonviolent redemptive good will proclaimed the rule of the land.

"And the lion and the lamb shall lie down together and every man shall sit under his own vine and fig tree and none shall be afraid." I still believe that We Shall overcome! Complete text

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So far we've come, so far to go...

1/16/2006 10:07:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the stop by on my blog site. And Thanks for the B-day wishes too. Thanks for this info. as well. I traced back your link to the MLK Jr. Speech link. Because I thought it had a typo in it. But your transcription was the same as the one on the link. I wonder if it SHOULD have read "mortar bursts" rather than "motor bursts" in that 5th sentence? It just doesn't seem right to me. Maybe that is really what he said, but, if it is... I don't get that sentence either in or out of context. ~ jb///

1/16/2006 02:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home