Friday, November 04, 2005

Who’s Your Barney?

We had a STUNNINGLY gorgeous fall day yesterday! The sky was lapis blue, the trees were blazing red and gold and the eavesdropping was easy - LOL Yes, I admit it. Hi, My name is Marti, and I'm. . .an eavesdropper. I can’t remember exactly when it started. I was young. I’ve always had extraordinary hearing ability, which has enabled my dastardly habit. So much for confessions. That's my story and I'm sticking to it - LOL! Because the temperature was in the 70’s, I drove with my car window down, letting my senses revel in the glory: autumn-scented wind whipping through my hair, sunshine warming my arms, and all manner of conversations going on around me. (It’s really amazing what people say and do in their automobiles, becoming oblivious to the outside world as they yabber on cell phones and pick their noses - LOL) I was stopped at a red light beside a nondescript sedan with a half-lowered side window. A peal of laughter range out, causing me to glance in their direction. The acoustic guffaw was followed by a woman’s voice proclaiming loudly, "I KNOW! OH! Did I tell you that I saw this really interesting thing about Barney..." The light changed to green, they were gone, and I was left with an overwhelming desire to know, "Barney who"? I arrived at McDonalds to pick up Middle Son from French Fry duty, and sat in the parking lot muddling the question. How many Barneys could there be? I started trying to think of Barneys (Because what better way is there to pass the time in a McDonald’s parking lot than to think of every Barney you can? LOL) See how many you can think of, then check your list against my Barney timeline:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, I only knew 5.

Fife, Rubble, Miller, The Simpsons Barney and the purple Barney.

I can't think of any off the top of my head...

11/04/2005 01:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got stuck on Barney the dinosaur. I did momentarily think of Barney Rubble, then went back to Barney the Dinosaur. Yup, I have a toddler!

11/04/2005 02:41:00 PM  
Blogger Marti said...

Hey that is pretty good, puremood! I forgot Barney Miller while I sat at McDonalds, so you did better than me! LOL!
***
That's OK, Laina, when you have a toddler Barney the Dinosaur kinda rules your world (shudders once more at the memory - LOL!)
***
Thanks to you both for stopping by and playing along!

11/04/2005 05:29:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only thought of the dinosaur, fife and rubble. That was it. Like laina i got stuck on the dinosaur (toddler in the house-- but we dont really watch that, thank god!)

I am a bad eavesdropper as well. I have very very good hearing and it just makes it too easy to listen. I can even carry on my own conversation and listen to someone nearby (well-selective listening- to see if anything juicy is being talked about)...

--k--

11/04/2005 05:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suck. I knew 5, LOL

11/04/2005 07:13:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great description of fall!

I gotta admit, I'm an eavesdropper too, and sort of a peeping tom. No, I don't go up to open windows or spy using a pair of binoculars, but when I drive by a house with their blinds pulled back, I look in.

I think it's interesting what people choose to talk about in public and I like getting a glimpse into someone else's life via their house.

Nosy, nosy, nosy. LOL.

11/04/2005 10:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i could only think of the purple dinosaur, but i don't think they were talking about that.

11/05/2005 05:27:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot the actor Barney Martin (I think he's played Seinfeld's dad before) and the famous Barneys department store in Hollyweird or Beverly Hills.

Oh well, no matter...still had more barneys than I did initially!

11/05/2005 09:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm terrible about eavesdropping, too. Glad to know I'm not alone. Just don't sit behind me in a restaurant!

11/05/2005 11:33:00 PM  
Blogger Marti said...

Hey Kristi, don’t feel bad, I had to do a lot of searching to come up with I did!

***
Hi Theresa! You don’t suck - LOL!

***
Colleen, thanks for the compliment! I peek driving by houses with open curtains too - LOL! It is surprising what people will talk about in public!

***
Hi Empress! Ya never know, they might have meant the dinosaur - LOL!

***
Oh Sudiegirl, you are GOOD! I did miss both of those Barney’s!

***
Hi Buffi! Seems like a LOT of us are eavesdroppers, huh? LOL!
***
Thank you ALL for stopping by and taking the time to comment! I really appreciate hearing from you!

11/06/2005 01:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need to update your timeline -- Neil Patrick Harris' character does have a last name:
Barney Stinson

11/14/2006 08:45:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're missing Barney Calhoun from the Half Life games by Valve Software.

First appearance 1998 as an informal generic name for all the identical security guards at Black Mesa, based on a perceived resemblance to Barney Fife.

In Half Life: Blue Shift (2001 - Gearbox/Valve) the player inhabited the skin of Barney Calhoun, now an individual.

Finally, in Half Life 2 (2004) and its first sequel Half Life 2: Episode 1 (2006), Barney Calhoun is a featured supporting character.

[ Barney Calhoun on Wikipedia ]

11/14/2006 06:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home