Friday, October 07, 2005

Homecoming - and Going

Another example of Just Say No to Nagging. High School Homecoming was approaching. I asked Darling Daughter if she was planning on attending any of the events. This was met with the, "are you insane?" look. She informed me that she is not into: *Sports *Pep *Parades *Spirit *Preppies OR *Dances Of course I didn't listen. I nagged. I cajoled. I bribed. Bribery worked. So off we went to find a dress, a beautiful dress, fit for a princess. With dress and all accoutrements in hand, I was pleased (and out a trip to the anime' store LOL) Saturday morning I forced, err...suggested the kids accompany me, to town to watch the parade. I love a parade. Grudgingly, the joined me. Of course Middle Son HAD to wear the whole Gothy regalia. This is a small town, and he was the Lone Goth. We took a couple of lawn chairs, and Daughter and I planted ourselves along the side of the road, while he stood, looking..."brooding" LOL He is a 2004 graduate, so there were a lot of students who still know him. As the floats went by, I saw students smiling and waving to the crowd, then they would focus on His Darkness, and frown, as they tried to rectify the face they remembered with this Matrix-coat-wearing fellow with blue-black hair. I could tell he was enjoying it, and struggling to maintain his somber, pensive demeanor. It sure made me smile. Later that evening, it was time for the dance, and Daughter looked so lovely. (Insert happy mommy sigh.) Husband drove her down, and returned with a trying-to-hide-it soft look on his face, from seeing his baby girl in formal attire. Within the hour, the phone rang, and she wanted to come home. Went down to pick her up from the very decorated, very loud gymnasium. Inside were the very dressed up students and one very unhappy Daughter. The chaperones released her to me, and when we got back to the car (where we could actually hear one another) she said that none of her friends were there and the music was giving her a headache. She looked miserable. (Insert sad mommy sigh.) Oh well. Will I learn my lesson from this? Maybe..........

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you won't learn your lesson. I live to make my daughter's life miserable, don't you?? Maybe that's why she hates me! ;P


PS Is it just me or are these word verification things getting a little out of control?

10/07/2005 08:27:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She TOLD you she didn't want to go!
I love the way you described your goth son. You know your boy, and you could tell he was eating up the reaction. I love it!
I hope you got some great photos of your lovely daughter all dolled up.

10/07/2005 10:35:00 PM  
Blogger Marti said...

Hi buffi, jamie dawn...thanks for stopping by!

Yes, some of the recent verifications have been about a hundred characters long - LOL! I don't know of an easier way to keep those nasty spammers out though, sorry.

Yes, I did manage to snap a few pictures (good thing - Lord knows when I'll get another chance to see her in a formal - LOL!)

10/08/2005 02:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was Goth boy enjoying the parade, or the reaction he was producing from the parade due to his goth look? LOL. I'd love to see a picture of your goth boy. I have a young lady friend that went through a goth phase when she was about your son's age. She has outgrown it for the most part...well, she doesn't dress goth anymore I should say. LOL. But she's not much older than your boy.

You're such a good mom!

10/08/2005 04:30:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad my parents never forced me to go to "The Prom". I guess the whole High School Prom thing just isn't that big a deal here in the UK.

10/09/2005 11:04:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hey Hey Hey Hey!

I think this would be a great time to say TAG! You're IT!

10/09/2005 05:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had opposite sides to this story! I assumed my ninth grade daughters wouldn't be going. Surprise. The whole ninth grade went, with or without dates. My mom took them shopping for dresses. One wanted to have her hair done, the other didn't. I talked her into at least having a shampoo and good blow-dry. The hairdresser talked her into getting a "do". They met with a bunch of friends at a coffeehouse beforehand. I worried that after all this big build-up that they wouldn't have a good time. They were there for the whole homecoming dance and had a great time. The daughter who usually dresses down was fussed over a good deal, esp. the upperclasswomen from the band.

Your son sounds like a fun person!

10/09/2005 06:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sugar Mommy sent me. I love your blog. I have 14 and 12-year-old stepdaughters (who live with me) and I totally know your drama.

Ah, teenage girls!

10/13/2005 08:35:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home