Halloween Memories

Memories...like the corners of my mind (which means they are full of cobwebs and old books LOL) What is the first Halloween you can remember? The most extraordinary? Please share your stories! You can leave them here in the comments, or post them on your own blog and send me a link. If you don’t have a blog, e-mail your story to me and I will add it here. The earliest Halloween that I can recall was age 3 - I was a ghost. We were at my grandmother’s house. She took a white pillowcase and slipped it over me, and marked where my eyeballs and shoulders were, then pulled it off and cut little circles out for me to see through, and holes for me to poke my arms through. I thought I was da bomb - LOL We walked up her street to a few houses, me carrying my costume’s pillowcase mate to collect treats in. I harbored visions of filling it up, as tall as myself, and having enough sweets to gorge on forever. This was in the glory days of Halloween, before poison and razor blade scares, when little old ladies spent days preparing homemade candy, cookies and popcorn balls. Oh the joy of a homemade popcorn ball! The really cool old ladies colored the caramel-marshmallow gooiness that held the glob together with gallons of food dye, so that when I returned home and ate it, getting it all over my hands and face, I became the color of the popcorn ball. I was one of hundreds of happy children who were purple until Thanksgiving. The most extraordinary? Well certainly having Bradley the Brat pee on my costume ranks right up there, but for happy memories I’d have to say about ten years ago. All three kids were still living at home, and I was helping at the PTA Carnival. I sewed pirate costumes for the entire family (such a domestic diva LOL) from yards and yards of red and white striped fabric. Daughter and I wore skirts with jagged zig-zag bottoms, white puffy blouses, red kerchiefs around our necks and lots of gaudy jewelry. All of the males wore red bandanas, white puffy shirts, and pants and vests made from the same material, also cut with zig-zig bottoms. I wore an exotic feathered half-mask and black fishnet stocking (which Papa Pirate really liked, but that’s a whole ‘nuther story LOL) We went to the high school gymnasium and I ran the three-card monty game. Just kidding...I ran several different innocent little carnival games, like the cakewalk, and pick-a-rubber-ducky, win-a-prize. Eldest Son won the coolest prize, (not at my booth) - a Sprite soda pop bottle (that I still have) which had the neck heated and stretched.

There was a moonwalk, 25 cent hot dogs, lots of adults and kids in costumes, and I could abuse my power as a parent volunteer, and give my children tickets to anything they wanted to do - LOL It was one of the best nights of my life (and Papa Pirate’s LOL) So that’s mine. Please! Share your stories!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I was the youngest of 4 kids and my big brother (8 years older) always had a crowd of friends around the house. You know, garage band, always one or two extra guys living with us cuz they got kicked out of home, etc. Well, our house was wild, to say the least, on a regular basis but Holloween was extra crazy. There was the year that my mom couldn't figure out why we weren't getting many T/T'ers only to discover my brother & the gang on the roof over the garage throwing eggs at anyone venturing up the driveway. Then there was the year that one of the guys dressed like a scarecrow and laid in the empty, shallow pond in the flowerbed along the front walkway and would scare the hell out of anyone who walked by.

There are many more stories but those are the 1st ones that come to mind.

Kel
Marti said…
Those are GREAT stories Kel! I love the guy in the pond!

Thank you so much for stopping by and playing along!
Anonymous said…
I wrote a column about Halloween years ago ... And people are still coming up to me commiserating about those plastic masks!
Marti said…
"...I’m invariably caught without candy; last year the kids who came to me went home with a stapler, an Associated Press style manual and a picture of my wife.”


ROTF!

What a great article!

Thank you so much for playing along and for the link!
Anonymous said…
Hmmm ... I remember being Peter Pan when I was 8 or so. I'm the eldest, so I took my three younger siblings around later. Until I was 16 years old. Then I had an adult-size monkey costume that had been left by the people who sold us the house.
Marti said…
Peter Pan - that sounds like a neat outfit!

I bet that monkey suit was hot! (not Paris Hilton hot, like sweaty hot LOL)

Thank you for sharing!
Anonymous said…
Hi there! I came across your blog via BlogExplosion. I actually just updated my journal yesterday about my childhood costumes. Here's the link:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/vagynafondue/282593.html

Happy Halloween!
Marti said…
Nice to meet you Erin.

I went and looked at those costumes - they were amazing!

Sorry about the log-in confusion. Son has a LiveJournal account, so I asked him to sign in for me to comment. I had already typed the comment and he signed in and hit send before I could explain why it had his ID on it - LOL

Thank you for stopping by!
Anonymous said…
You had more fun in one night than I had in 7 or 8 years of trick or treat. Except, perhaps, for the time a bunch of us left a horse in the high school overnight...
Marti said…
A horse in the high school!?!

LOL!

Old Horsetail, you take the cake!
(and you didn't even have to do the cakewalk - LOL)
Anonymous said…
I can't figure out why, but the best Halloween I remember was a thrown-together costume in the 3rd grade that included a very long and itchy skirt that was my granny's. It was too big, so I stuffed a pillow in the front. But my mom made me put it around to the back - I just loved wagging that big old hiney back and forth. (I don't need a costume for that now, though)
Marti said…
Hello Ivy! Welcome!

That costume sounds like a hoot!

Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting!
Anonymous said…
Happy Halloween Marti!
Anonymous said…
Nothing nearly as good...
My brother is a great pianist/organist, and has been great since childhood.
He would sit at the organ and pretend to be Phantom of the Opera as kids came to the door and freak them out. He had on the costume and played the organ music full blast. It was a riot. We had such a blast doing this. Our poor neighbor children got the pee scared out of them.

Have a Happy Halloween! Eat plenty of chocolate.

Popular posts from this blog

My Boobs are on File with the FBI

Netiquette

Ode to High Prices