For Whom the Cell Tolls

Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got 'till it's gone... Boy, ain't that the truth. Middle Son and I have been sharing my cell phone for some time now, with the understanding that if he ever damaged or destroyed it while it was in his custody, he would be responsible for replacing it. Of course he willingly agreed to this because he is a teenager and considers himself and everything in his possession to be indestructible - LOL Such is not the case. Last week, while said phone was in said son's trusteeship, (gawd bless Thesaurus LOL) he had a lil' boo-boo. At some point in his adventures, he and said phone did meet heretofore unmentioned hard surface (possibly floor, driveway or bowling alley lane, (said son's memory is weak on this particular detail), shattering said phone into said broken mess. A replacement as per said agreement was then in order. More was said, but is unprintable LOL "Replacement" sounds so simple. I snort huffily at "simple". "Simple" implies going to a nearby retail outlet, handing over the broken phone, and getting a new one handed to oneself with a cheery smile. At least we eventually got the cheery smile. {{Waves to most-magnificent "L", the superior customer service representative who handled our incredibly complex procedure.}} My first recourse had been to contact Eldest Son, the purveyor of fine electronic products at reasonable prices, who had handled our initial purchase and contract for cellular service. Sadly, he is unable to offer assistance, as merger of Husband's telecommunications company (and employer) with another telecommunications company, has throw all of the old rules up in the air like so much confetti.

Representatives at telecom company expressed their regret and sympathy that Eldest Son was no longer able handle such procedures, they must be transacted at the mothership...errr...World Headquarters, which is approximately the same distance from our home as Brazil.

So for several days, until jaunt could be arranged. I was cell-less.

I hadn't realized my addiction to it, until it wasn't there.

I missed it. I longed for it. I held its broken parts in my hands and cursed Fate (and in very bad-mommy fashion, the perpetrator).

At last we sallied forth and traveled to the holy land (World Headquarters). We explained the situation, with said boy and his soon-to-be-depleted savings in tow.

The procedure was complex. Husband's phone would become my phone, he and son would get new phones. My old number would activate to husband's old phone, husband's old number would activate to his new phone, and son would get new phone and number. Old/broken phone contacts would be transferred, switched and given liposuction in an extreme makeover that would bedevil the gods.

Throughout it all, most-magnificent "L" was cheerful and efficient. She managed the confusing maze of changes, upgrades, rebates, transfers and purchases with such aplomb as to make mortal men weep. She smiled encouragingly, and gently accepted the payment from the trembling fingers of Middle Son, who loves the feel of cash in his hands only slightly less than life itself.

He is recovering nicely though, as the joy of having his own phone to have and to hold (and to text message his friends) increases, shoving the painful memory of the cash transaction into a dimly-lit memory spot, much the way mothers do with childbirth.

And I have a phonie all my ownie now too.

Ah, the simple pleasures.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Is there any possible way to keep them from becoming teenagers? I am so not looking forward to THAT. SugarPlum hoards her allowance. I'm sure she will be able to purchase a Mercedes when she turns 16.
Anonymous said…
Enjoy the use of your new phone. Being without one, even for a short time, is like losing a limb. (Well, maybe not THAT serious.)
I was at the doc's and the hospital nearly ALL day and now I'm back at my hotel. My hubby gets here late tonight and I have surgery tomorrow morning.
Have a good weekend.
Anonymous said…
Ack! Why does getting/transferring service have to be so complicated? My hubby works for a phone company and even for him, to get a cell phone is complicated. (even more so since he's an employee and receives a discount)

I'm glad you've got your phone back and that it was a smooth transition
Anonymous said…
My DH got our two w/ a corporate discount thru the Navy with ATT Wireless. Then Cingular aquired ATT Wireless (not ATT, just the Wireless part).

So we HAD to switch over. So we thought that we'd add the two kids, who were now 15, and have a "family" plan or something similar. Actually kind of played them against each other.

Boy, what a mess! They wanted to take away the Navy discount from DH altogether, but he hung in there and made them give it to him. He haggled with the people at the store and with people at the Call Center for DAYS.
Anonymous said…
I think cell phone company trials and tribulations have become commonplace like dealing with DMV or something. I remember early this year when I got a new phone added on to Melissa's service and I was attempting (HA!) to have old number transfered to my new phone. After much hassle, long phone wait time, etc. it was finally a go - the only problem was that I couldn't call either of my teenage sons from my phone nor could they complete a call to me from their cell phones! It took 3 weeks, 3 WEEKS!, to get this little snafu corrected.

Kel
Marti said…
LOL Buffi! 'Fraid not! SugarPlum sounds like Middle Son LOL

Yes Jamie, it WAS like losing a limb. Best wishes to you on your surgery.

Colleen, you are so right, I think it is MORE difficult when they are an employee!

DD, you know it too, huh? LOL Glad it all worked out (there IS hope LOL)

Kel, I am glad you got things squared away with the phone service...gotta keep tabs on them youngens even when they go off to the big city LOL

Thank you ALL for stopping by! I love hearing from you!
Anonymous said…
I laughed all the way through that post and I don't even own a cell phone. I'd be a cell phone virgin if it weren't for my on-call status at my last job. I've got nothing against em just dont need the extra bill. Anyways loved the post. Hope Middle Son doesn't destroy his new phone any time soon. For his sake. I always liked the feel of money as it was passing from my hands into someone elses.

The Lumpy
Anonymous said…
I just got my own cell phone. I'm still getting used to it. Sorry about your cellular problems.
Anonymous said…
Marti,

I do hope they gave you free texting - Youngest Daughter of SWMBO's bestest friend ran up a $1200 text messaging bill last October...

SWMBO= She Who Must Be Obeyed
Anonymous said…
Oy! I hear ya on getting screwed with the cell phones. I've had nothing but problems this year and on top of that the Cingular takeover. UGH!!!
Anonymous said…
Hey woman! Where are you?? I MISS you! LOL
Anonymous said…
ah yes, rather than spring for phone service of his own, my 16 year old brother shares with my mom. it is said that there are lots of questions each time the bill comes in. "drew, who is 555-5555?"

Popular posts from this blog

My Boobs are on File with the FBI

Netiquette

Ode to High Prices