Subaru and Springfield Too

Old rock and roll never dies. It just gets recycled into commercials that make us so sick of a once-beloved song that our ears bleed when we hear it. Subaru is using the tune, "Dust in the Wind" made famous by the rock band Kansas (not my neighboring state, although the state does frequently have dust storms). I used to love this song, now it makes me wince. I hate Subaru for this. I hate other car companies for ruining other great tunes - Led Zeppelin's "Rock and Roll" hawking Cadillacs, Buicks being hyped to Aerosmith's "Dream On"...MAKE IT STOP! If not being recycled by automakers, the artists (?) themselves, recycle themselves. What is it? Did they go through all of the millions they earned? Sigh, probably so. This morning I saw Rick Springfield on Regis and Kelly. He looks like Skeletor from He-Man cartoons. He's still singing, "I Wish That I Had Jesse's Girl". Why? So she could bring you a can of Ensure? I'm old. I admit it. Hell, I'm proud of it. To have gone through everything, done everything, been everything I have, and come out alive and ready to turn 52 on July 29 (cards and gifts graciously accepted LOL) is quite a feat. I cherish my memories of making out, or spouting philosophically, to those songs. It causes me to have muscle spasms when the commercial plays the first few times and I catch myself singing along, only to have my kids say, "Gee mom, how'd you learn the words to the Mitsubishi song so fast?" Please. Write you own jingles. There must be a line of starving jingle writers somewhere - find it. The-still-loves-rock-and-roll-but-not-as-a-marketing-tool Marti

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh my gosh, how true is this??? I totally agree! Maybe the old rock stars crave that 'ole time' attention so ANY attention will do!?!?
Anonymous said…
Poor Rick Springfield...he used to be SUCH a hottie! LOL
Anonymous said…
I once made up a jingle for a well known stain remover from a tune by Tears for Fears (remember them?)

Shout! Shout!
Get it all out
These are the stains I can do without!

Come on, I'm talking to you
So Come on!


Alas, no one ever took me up on it. Probably just as well, because then you would be pissed at me to, huh! ;)
Marti said…
Nah, you're safe Buffi, I never made out to your jingle - LOL!

Thanks for stopping by!
Marti said…
OMG Theresa, it was just awful! I remember him bein' a hottie too!

He was wearing a shirt with the sleeves cut off, and had chicken wing flabby upper arms! {{shivers from disgust - LOL}}
Anonymous said…
Hi Marti, I find it kind of funny hearing the old songs that we used to get high on, lol. What's wierd is when your kids know the words to the songs! Thank you so much for visiting my blog. Some bad news for you, though. I've been using adsense since about February and I just hit the $100 mark. I'm expecting my check in about a month. They only send you a check when you reach $100 and 30 days after the end of the month in which you get to that mark. I also pay for blog traffic and was hoping that I could make some $ with adsense. In other words, I'm paying to advertise for
the "partners" in order to make money on adsense. sigh . . .
Marti said…
Hi Cheryl! Sorry for not responding earlier, my comments section has gone whacko on me - LOL! Hope you're having a great weekend!
Marti said…
That's very encouraging Trudie - thanks!
Anonymous said…
{{{{{{MARTI}}}}}}}

Saw your note in the pub! Miss you loads. I too have a blog, they're kind of cool, huh?
I'll be really reading this through wneh I get the chance!

Kathy
Anonymous said…
I prefer my 80's pop icons young and unravaged, myself. Although Jesse's Girl was always my favorite Karaoke song back in those days when I could actually get drunk enough to sing. Love your blog!
Good readingg this post

Popular posts from this blog

My Boobs are on File with the FBI

Netiquette

Ode to High Prices